Хроники умирающего снукера

Жека
Стаж: 2 года

Сообщение Жека »

Romford Recorder сообщает.

'A social club for the community': 90-year-old Hornchurch snooker hall to close after 'losing battle' over lease

A Hornchurch snooker hall is to close its doors after 90 years after the club "lost the battle" to renew its lease.

Knights Snooker and Pool Club on the High Street put a post on social media last week announcing it has “lost the battle against our landlord” and is due to close on July 31.

Evren Omer, who runs the snooker and pool club with his business partner Yil Shevket, has been at its helm for 35 of the 90 years it has been open.

He said the lease had run out, and so, despite consulting with legal representation, there is nothing the club can do to roll back the landlord’s decision.

Evren said: “We don’t want to leave. None of our customers want us to leave, and there’s been an outpouring of sympathy on Facebook among other places.”

Since the club’s closure was confirmed, he and Yil have been looking for a new space, but have been unable to find anywhere big enough to cater for the needs of the club yet.

"It looks like we will have to just give up," Evren said.

The landlord, Parkhall Estates, which is part of Metro Properties, earlier this year submitted an application to turn the hall into flats.

This was rejected by Havering Council on grounds including the proposed apartments not meeting an acceptable standard of accommodation.

Evren said the decision has been appealed, although this has not been displayed on Havering Council’s planning portal. That application can be viewed using the reference P0099.22.

A farewell has been organised with regulars of the club to be held over the final weekend.

Its loss, says Evren, is more than just that of a place to play snooker.

Rather, it is the loss of a valuable local hub, one which has been a part of the local community for many years.

“We have served the community very well," said Evren, adding: “It’s not just a snooker club. It’s a social club for the community.”

Metro Properties was approached for comment.
Лучше быть, чем казаться.
Жека
Стаж: 2 года

Сообщение Жека »

Вот за что я люблю Аллена, так это за то, что говорит даже тогда, когда надо помолчать.

Mark Allen is dipping his toe into the pool world because this season’s snooker schedule is “a shambles”.

The former Masters champion has entered next month’s Ultimate Pool Players Championship due to a lack of events on the World Snooker Tour.

September’s World Mixed Doubles event consists of the top four players in the world, and their playing partners, whilst the world’s top six have been invited to the returning Hong Kong Masters in October.

But World No 14 Allen’s next snooker assignment isn’t until the end of September at the British Open.

“I’m really looking forward to trying my hand at pool,” revealed Allen.

“I’ve always enjoyed the social side of it, but I don’t want to go out there against the professionals and look like an idiot.

“The snooker calendar is shocking this season so there’s a chance I could play in a couple of events if they invite me back.”

Snooker was the first indoor sport back during the Covid-19 pandemic and the World Snooker Tour did a great job of getting events on.

But there are just seven ranking events, including the drawn out Championship League, this side of Christmas with the revamped UK Championship the only event with a winners’ prize above £100,000.

And Allen slammed: “The schedule this season is a shambles, it’s a sorry state of affairs.

“This is the worst it’s been since Barry first took over in 2010 or 2011.

“It’s the worst season by a country mile. The events are smaller, the money’s smaller and there are less playing days.

“The calendar’s been filled up with qualifiers and the players aren’t happy.

“The players are crying out for some bigger events.

“World Snooker did a great job during Covid getting events on, but it feels like we were playing more then which is worrying.

“I really hope they can pull something out of the hat because it’s hard to make any money, especially if you’re lower down the rankings.

“I’m very fortunate to be in the position I’m in, but for players at the lower end it must be very hard at the moment.”
Лучше быть, чем казаться.
Zmey
Модератор
Модератор
Стаж: 3 года 2 месяца

Номинант викторины Победитель конкурса прогнозов Бронзовый призер конкурса

Сообщение Zmey »

Ничего неожиданного для меня Марк не сказал. Турниров мало, и ведь не поспоришь! Пока не вернутся пять полноценных китайских рейтинговых турниров так и будет. И я с ним согласен - система, когда играется квал. раунд, а затем надо ждать месяц-два основной части турнира затея плохая, но вынужденная - из-за кавида, - надо избавляться от неё... Я надеюсь что этот сезон перетерпеть придётся, календарь уже сформирован, а вот на сезон 2023/2024 есть надежда, что вернутся китайцы - их интерес к снукеру никуда не делся.
*Насчёт того что он позавидовал топам, которые заработают на World Mixed Doubles и Hong Kong Masters - так нечего завидовать!!! Чёрт возьми. Оторви одно место от дивана, играй лучше, как умеешь (потенциал у Алого - ого-го - не зря его в ЧМ прочили в своё время), играй лучше и попадёшь в топ-4 и будут тебе всякие блатные турнирчики типа Гонконга.
Анархия не хаос, анархия - мать порядка.
Ответить